First Marine Mammals of the Season

 5/25

Dear class,


Our big boat day was met with anticipation from the whole class. Meclizine was taken the night before and the morning of to prepare for a day of sea sickness as we rode out to our site where we would be helping CEDO to survey the sea lion populaton at the Isla de San Jorge. After an hour or two of riding out to the island, we were given papers for each of us to record separate sects of the population. I think our group had it the easiest as we just had to identify the adult males who have a very distinct “casi melon” or a lump on the top of their head. We drifted slowly around the island and ended up counting 47 of them. For some context of the sea lions, they are in the marine mammal pinnipeds group meaning flippered or finned. Something I discovered about this animal is that they can hold their breath for 6-20 minutes as they have an adaptive respiratory system that concentrates their oxygenated blood into their heart instead of extraneous muscles. The males that we saw today are helping to establish their breeding ground between May-July and will fast during this time to protect their harem (group of females) and territory. 


Before today I had always been scared of sea lions because growing up on the coast of California tourists were always getting bit because they would venture too close to the pack. In La Jolla, I had to cross a beach at night and two massive male sea lions were sleeping rather peacefully until I set foot on the beach. One lifted his head and almost tilted it 180 degree at me and let out a bark that made my stomach drop. I knew that if he came for me I’d have to book it to get to safety. Surprisingly we were all met with very different responses from these packs of sea lions on the island, or maybe we were just lucky enough to interact with the more genial females. After floating around for a couple minutes with our snorkeling gear we were greeted by a pack of friendly females who swam around us spinning and showing off. Some showed us their flippers above water to wave at us and one even looked like she was doing a headstand for us so that her hind flippers were above the water. Though one male became unhappy with us swimming too close to his pack, the rest of them seemed intrigued that we were there. The visibility in the water was low and I didn’t have my contacts with me so I couldn’t see extremely clearly but it was still amazing to be able to be so close to these animals in their home. My perspective on these “angels of the sea” has changed for the better after today’s excursion. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day!

5/23/2024 Tide Pools (Oliver Pheil)

Interesting Crab lovers in the Sea of Cortez